Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bush bribed reporters to ask specific questions

from : http://www.sheilacasey.com

Bush The Wall Street Journal editorialized today about the revelation that Obama was looking for specific reporters to call on in the White House press corps:

About half-way through President Obama's press conference Monday night, he had an unscripted question of his own. "All, Chuck Todd," the President said, referring to NBC's White House correspondent. "Where's Chuck?" He had the same strange question about Fox News's Major Garrett: "Where's Major?". . . .

The President was running down a list of reporters preselected to ask questions. The White House had decided in advance who would be allowed to question the President and who was left out. . . .

We doubt that President Bush, who was notorious for being parsimonious with follow-ups, would have gotten away with prescreening his interlocutors.

Former President Bush not only pre-screened his questioners, at least one of them was offered a ride on Air Force One if he asked the question the White House wanted asked.

Although this story was related to me in 2006, I have held back on revealing it, as my friend Dermot Bennett was still a working journalist at the time. Now, sadly, Dermot is too sick to work and not expected to recover. His career will not be harmed by this revelation.

Dermot was a correspondent with Agence France Press. He related this story to me (rough paraphrase):

I was sitting in the back of the White House briefing room when Tony Snow approached and asked me "How would you like to ride on Air Force One?" I said "love to," and Tony said "Okay, when the President calls on you, please ask this question."

And he told me what they wanted asked.


I put my hand up and Bush called on me by first name "Dermot." I asked exactly the question they gave me and later was told who to contact to arrange for a trip on Air Force One.

Dermot then asked me (Sheila): "So, you want to go on a ride with me on Air Force One?"

I hate Bush and didn't want to be near him, so declined.

Yet more evidence--as if we need it--that our press is utterly corrupt. The goings on in the White House briefing room amount to little more than mutual masturbation.

Obama now appears to be equally afraid of unscripted questions. New boss, same as the old boss.



The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this website.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment